LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009

+4
Pax-raider
djpimley
leoantix
Kenners
8 posters

Go down

Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009 Empty Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009

Post  Kenners Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:40 am

This one's for you, Leo-

Here's a slightly reworked version of Dandy's Lime Rock Park. I'd like to hand it off to someone else for new skyboxes. It isn't quite done; in my laziness, I stuck some faces in front of other faces, and so there's some flickering to be seen on several buildings. I'll get to it soon..

For those who are familiar with Dandy's track, and who isn't Wink , it should drive very much the same - the roadtypes did not change significantly.

http://www.legacyoflies.com/devuploads/kenners/LimeRock06.zip

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009 Empty Re: Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009

Post  leoantix Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 am

i absolutely love it kenners ... check your PMs afro
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 am

Wow. silent cheers

We need not have offered help, you've excelled without it. FPS is also good - though it takes a hit in places it's still in 60 fps territory, and mostly it's 75 fps. Perhaps some nice sky boxes could be made in the way Monaco was done: combine Google Earth horizons (or photos if Leo has some) with suitable sky box images. What's with the radio-active green moss/trees texture on parts of the ground?
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 am

djpimley wrote:Wow. silent cheers
What's with the radio-active green moss/trees texture on parts of the ground?
just my attempt to show areas that are overgrown with bushes, brambles, etc.. I plan on adding mdls to accomplish that, but I've been dinking with it for so long as it is.. And I wanted to see how FPS was doing first.

There are some pics Leo took that might be used to make a skybox. There are also some I found online that might suffice. Want to have a go? I'll put what I have on my LoL space.

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Kenners wrote:Want to have a go?
I don't have any sky box images I haven't already used. But I'll gladly have a go at stitching together a 4 sided panorama of the valley. Then you or I can drop in a sky box of your choosing behind it.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:58 pm

djpimley wrote:
Kenners wrote:Want to have a go?
I don't have any sky box images I haven't already used. But I'll gladly have a go at stitching together a 4 sided panorama of the valley. Then you or I can drop in a sky box of your choosing behind it.
There's the rub; I don't have anything that I'd say would serve to create the panorama.. Leo - would you like to see if you can get 4 (or 6 or 8?) overlapping panorama shots of the view from the track? If the camera is set level, and all shots were taken with the camera on a tripod & just swung around, I think that would suffice.. What about the "length" of the lens? Would "wide angle" be the wrong thing to do (harder to stitch photos together)?

If you do go out, get some zoomed-in shots of the billboards, and I can put some better quality images in game..

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:50 pm

For stitching together a panorama the longer the focal length of the lens the better. In other words, you can do a 360 view with a wideangle in a handful of shots, but they will look bad after stitching. If I was going to try something like this I'd use a tripod, use a slight telephoto (ie 50-60mm in old money) and pick a day that's fairly bright but with the sun hidden behind cloud. That way the contrast won't be overpowering and the exposures won't change too much as you rotate. You'll have to think about how much foreground you want too...

For the billboard shots get as far away as you can with a telephoto to reduce distortion, and get as perpendicular to the billboard as possible. Sun behind a cloud is also likely to give better results, with the sun behind your back. If you're using at least a 4 or 5 MP camera the image doesn't have to fill the frame - 512 pixels across the billboard is all thats needed, 4MP sensor is about 2500 pixels wide.
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  zaphod Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 am

Oh, how nice. Thank you, Kenners. Lime Rock Park has always been my favorite track to learn driving new cars and to improve (very little) in time trial. Now it has become even more tempting.

zap

zaphod
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 6
Interests : save fuel – drive in RL
Humor : Not applicable
Favorite Car : Lotus Exige
Alpine A 110
Lancia LC2
Favorite Track : Lime Rock Park
Mugello
Donington
Spa
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 am

Pax-raider wrote:For stitching together a panorama the longer the focal length of the lens the better. In other words, you can do a 360 view with a wideangle in a handful of shots, but they will look bad after stitching. If I was going to try something like this I'd use a tripod, use a slight telephoto (ie 50-60mm in old money) and pick a day that's fairly bright but with the sun hidden behind cloud. That way the contrast won't be overpowering and the exposures won't change too much as you rotate. You'll have to think about how much foreground you want too...

For the billboard shots get as far away as you can with a telephoto to reduce distortion, and get as perpendicular to the billboard as possible. Sun behind a cloud is also likely to give better results, with the sun behind your back. If you're using at least a 4 or 5 MP camera the image doesn't have to fill the frame - 512 pixels across the billboard is all thats needed, 4MP sensor is about 2500 pixels wide.
Thanks, great info. The banner images I used are 256 wide, I'd like a little better.

-K

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:40 am

We had a long test on the new LimeRock. I feel the track a bit wide compared to the old DANDY's one. But I love to see how the fps are gone, and this is really amazing.

The gameplay is not changed, apart from the turns near the hill.

I say thx too Cool
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 am

A lot of fun in Lime-Rock. Looks great, perfect FPS and an overview map.

What else could we wish...

thanks,
alf
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenners Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 am

DonaemouS wrote:We had a long test on the new LimeRock. I feel the track a bit wide compared to the old DANDY's one. But I love to see how the fps are gone, and this is really amazing.

The gameplay is not changed, apart from the turns near the hill.

I say thx too Cool
Laughing

I did not change the roadtypes or the road file! The only differences are perhaps interpolation, which affects the driveoff areas.

edit - let me clarify: the roadtypes files ARE different; however, track widths, banking/camber, curb heights & widths are all unchanged. Obviously, the hillside on the right side of no name straight are way different, and the outside of Big Bend is different, but the TRACK is the same.. Really!

Kenners

Kenners
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Lime Rock Park 0.6, 4 Jul 2009 Empty Nice!

Post  JW Barto Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Great to see a favorite track finally get some love.

Good job Kenners!!

Thank you.

JWB
JW Barto
JW Barto
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Favorite Car : Cheetah
Favorite Track : Spa

Back to top Go down