LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

968 GT3

+5
Valentin K
DANDY
DonaemouS
NoNameBrand
Tomte
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

968 GT3 Empty 968 GT3

Post  Tomte Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:30 am

Yes, I'm cheap.

I plan to use the same 968, again, to prepare yet another version, again, of that aging car that was never ment to be a Porsche in the first place.

Base is the 968 turbo RS, which was already racing the the German ADAC GT races beginning of the 90s. Some better tires, wings, a tad more power or torque and dropping the weight a bit might be all that is needed.

I already approached Don to be the driver, he still need to have a go before signing up.

So this is what I have so far: a .car and a psd showing the layers for the paint job of version 1.1.
Could you please let me know if the psd is up to scratch/understandable enough if somebody cares to create some paint jobs?
About the specs and handling, for now I raised the torque from 500 to 550 Nm, power stays the same at 350 hp.
I could also go the other way, leave the torque as it is but raise the power and rpm limit (like exchanging the old 2 valve cylinder head with a 4 valve configuration).

Still, I have the impression that the 968 GT3 is a bit too easy, even if it does not really have the outright speed of the young guns.
968 GT3 .car
968 paint job psd
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

968 GT3 Empty Re: 968 GT3

Post  NoNameBrand Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:59 am

Your .psd doesn't have an alpha channel, but otherwise looks fine. Photoshop also supports groups of layers which makes organising things a bit easier if you've actually got PS and not the GIMP.

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:27 pm

NoNameBrand wrote:Your .psd doesn't have an alpha channel, but otherwise looks fine. Photoshop also supports groups of layers which makes organising things a bit easier if you've actually got PS and not the GIMP.
Ah, right. I agree, it's a bit tricky to know which lauers need to be switched on.
I'm using the GIMP and I add the alpha channel for the shininess later with GraphicConverter.
For the logos, I generally have one layer for the 'original' logo, from where I copy, scale and position it onto the 'logo for colour x' layer. But the psd I uploaded might have some redundant information. Still, if someone needs some logos, they are up for grabs.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 pm

ok, I didn't like the 968 handling as much as I love the M coupe, but, this car always had an unique personality. Now, if you give her the power she need to meet the GT3 specs, she become really amazing and fun.

Not easy, cause I need 3 entire laps in watkins for a clean lap, but just after the fourth lap, I was able to gain an incredible fast lap. One of this car's feature is how she slide while cornering. Quite different compared to other car in her class. The engine pushing on rear wheels stronger then Turbo RS, and the risk of an unexpected spin is really close, especially on non flat turns.

Well, during the amazing SF's TCC tourney, I was lucky having the sD's Volvo S60 STCC to use, and I was also lucky winning the tourney. In GT3 class I had not a "team car", until now...
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:09 am

Leo kindly let me run a development version in yesterday evening's GT3 session.
It turned out that the 968 is too slow on high speed tracks like the Monza's, probably due to only 350 hp.
On more curvy tracks like Spa, it was very much in his element with the current cornering balance, where I had some good laps defending my positon against a bunch of 997's. On the long straight I got overtaken when the 997's managed Eau Rouge all right. In the latter part of the track I could easily hang on.
Similar on Black Forest, where the 968 performed better than I did...

All in all I think I should go down the less torque/more power/more weight route, as this seems to be more realistic. I doubt the (Redline) FIA would allow a higher boost on the huhuhuge turbo to boost the torque, but might be more relaxed about raising the rev limit and subsequent a tad more power.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:30 am

Tomte wrote:Leo kindly let me run a development version in yesterday evening's GT3 session.
It turned out that the 968 is too slow on high speed tracks like the Monza's, probably due to only 350 hp.
ummh i dont know her performance on tracks like monza, but during my tests in watkins, i was faster the gallardo... so, i don't think she is slow
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

968 GT3 Empty 968 GT3 Beta

Post  Tomte Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Ok, time for some official beta testing. I guess this baby can go up at Legacy as well, to give it some exposure.

When the GT3 is accepted by the powers that be, the normal 968 pack will get updated to v1.2 as well. Anyway, the GT3 already sports the new shadow model, down from about 2800 to 206 polys.

Porsche 968 GT3 beta

For now, I raised the power to some 400 hp at higher, thanks to some hotter cams. That of course means that the torque has to arrive later as well.
Weight is up to 1165 kg, giving it the worst power/weight in the GT3 class.
It handles quite well, like all 968, but it doesn't have the punch or aerodynamic finesse to reach the same top speeds as the competition.

Your votes please!
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Tomte wrote:Anyway, the GT3 already sports the new shadow model, down from about 2800 to 206 polys.
first to comment/quote. Not all will look at this great improvement, especially for slower/older Macs. But, in a class like the GT3, sporting some of the highly detailed cars so far, this fix is really useful, and hardly waiting for the other 968s.

I fortunately already look into the handle. As other GT3 cars, now the 968 is way more stiffer and rigid, a bit nervous, and well balanced.

Yes, she miss power, but I sincerely like this feature, cause will be more fun drive at limits through the turns...
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:12 pm

It seems to me this car would be better adapted to a GT4 class... running vs prepped Z 4 M Coupes, X-Bows, and Roush Stangs.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 pm

DANDY wrote:It seems to me this car would be better adapted to a GT4 class... running vs prepped Z 4 M Coupes, X-Bows, and Roush Stangs.

You mean in spirit (4cyl engine, entry level Porsche and so on) or on capability?

The original turbo RS was basically a GT3 car of it's time, available in either ADAC GT cup or Le Mans configuration.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:51 am

In realistic performance potential, and even relative size. It's zippy in the curves, but I eat them for breakfast in most locales.

The road-car derived classes seem to stack up like this:
TCC: <300 hp
GT4: 350-400 + Sports Light
GT3: 440-550
GT2: ~600?
GT1 600+?
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin K Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:20 am

GT2 engines are about in the power range of the GT3 cars, but GT2 are purpose built racecars and cost twice as much as a GT3 which only has limited modifications from a road car Wink
Valentin K
Valentin K
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 219
Interests : Redline, scale modelling
Humor : What's humor? Can you eat that?
Favorite Car : TVR Speed 12, RE Amemiya RX-7, Cheetah GT
Favorite Track : Nürburgring Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:54 am

DANDY wrote:In realistic performance potential, and even relative size. It's zippy in the curves, but I eat them for breakfast in most locales.
So if I would raise the engine power a bit, say to 420-440 hp, would that be too unrealistic? I mean, fitting a 4 valve/cylinder head would certainly do the trick together with different boost settings of the charger. The 350 of the original turbo RS were achieved with a 2 valve head.

I know that the 911, Vantage, Z06, Gallardo are all a (image) class above the 968, which looks like a garagists approach to GT3 racing.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:22 am

I just read that a (non factory) 968 turbo RS was racing last year at the Britcar race in Brands Hatch. It was supposed to have some 500 hp. So I guess the 400 hp I have now are at least not unrealistic.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 am

Due to the lack of hosted GT3-races yesterday and my absence for some days before i have not driven it yet in mp.
But i had some curves with it in Quickrace - and i love it.
Great handling... I am looking forward to try it in MP...

alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:11 am

Any other comments? Too slow? Too easy? Too fast? Too ugly? Just not fitting?

Any other paint jobs coming up?

If nothing else crops up in the next couple of days, I'd like to update to version 1.2 proper.

Thanks.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:49 am

Tomte wrote:Any other comments? Too slow? Too easy? Too fast? Too ugly? Just not fitting?

Any other paint jobs coming up?

\Me is looking for the release Wink
I guess - no i *know* you did not mean more comments from me - but i cant resist.
Had several MP-races with it since the first try in single races.

The Porsche is for sure much slower on straights, Toad in the Corvette (or others in the Porsche 997) is/are catching up really fast all the time. But the nice handling give it and advantage as it comes to curve or error-free drivin.

For me you got a go - and for the moment i found the GT3 car of my choice Wink

more skins would be appreciated - what do you mean by "any other paint jobs coming up"? are there people working on it probably?
(i personally dont like the army style and neither the ugly-colored VW-painting - but thats just my problem, not yours).

ty for the great car again...

alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am

alphonse wrote:more skins would be appreciated - what do you mean by "any other paint jobs coming up"? are there people working on it probably?
(i personally dont like the army style and neither the ugly-colored VW-painting - but thats just my problem, not yours).
I put up a rather messy psd in the first post, so that everyone can create a skin of their liking. As I'm using the GIMP, I cannot group layers as in Photoshop, but I guess it is still easy enough to create something. The problem I have is getting an idea in the first place.

The VW skin is just a hommage to the 90s Polo Harlekin (and the fact that Porsche more or less bought Volkswagen over the last 2 years). I agree that it's not really a beauty, so I will probably drive that one.

The army style skin and the NIAG are from Valentin K (thanks buddy!), the rest came out of my brain (or arse other).
The number 75 skin is Don's team colour, so that is booked.
I think GuppyFish claimed the TfL skin, so that is gone as well.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:48 am

Tomte wrote:The VW skin is just a hommage to the 90s Polo Harlekin (and the fact that Porsche more or less bought Volkswagen over the last 2 years). I agree that it's not really a beauty, so I will probably drive that one.
After having seen the Polo Harlekin i start to like it - looks like a fun expression of personality.
But more on Polo than on the Porsche. Good one, did not know this exists...

The army style skin and the NIAG are from Valentin K (thanks buddy!), the rest came out of my brain (or arse other).
The number 75 skin is Don's team colour, so that is booked.
I think GuppyFish claimed the TfL skin, so that is gone as well.
No harm in my post above - i am thankful for all the work people do for redline. But i just like paintings or dont... and sometimes i express that.
What exactly means "that color is booked", "that is gone as well". Is there a reservation system for skins, numbers et al?

so if i want a car i need to skin one and reserve it somehwere? Shocked

I seem to have missed that one...

alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am

alphonse wrote:
No harm in my post above - i am thankful for all the work people do for redline. But i just like paintings or dont... and sometimes i express that.
No worries, feel free to differ. Smile
alphonse wrote:What exactly means "that color is booked", "that is gone as well". Is there a reservation system for skins, numbers et al?

so if i want a car i need to skin one and reserve it somehwere?
Nah, there is no reservation system.
But lets say if there is going to be a tournament where everyone would be required to choose a particular colour/skin, Don would take No. 75, Guppy would probably take the TfL skin (if he is racing the 968 in the first place). I have no idea if or when such a tournament would be hold and if such rules would be implemented. I think we had something like this for the 1961 F1 Tournament organised some time last year.

It's just a way so that everyone can race with his favourite paintjob. I think some of the Corvette Z06.R, Mustang and the 997 skins are custom skins prepared by people who liked to race in their own colours or just like doing some artwork.
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 am

Nobody seems to have any additional criticisms, so here you go:
Porsche 968 Pack 1.2
link removed

Included are the CS, the turbo S, the turbo RS and finally the 968 GT3.

All models had a little make over, new shadow model, polished paintjobs, slight changed to the model itself.
The GT3 sports 2 skins from Valentin K, which I much appreciate.
The turbo whine uses a sound file that C14ru5 provided some time ago. Thanks a lot!

Exclamation Final note: this redplug doe not automatically replace the older 968_Pack_v1-1.redplug and the 968_GT3.redplug. I know I mess things up, not automatically overwriting redplugs and such. It was shortsighted of me not to think about this when I first created the 968.

The new redplug is simply called Porsche_968_Pack.redplug, so the old 968*** need to be deleted manually. Any further update should be overwritten automatically.

968 GT3 Picture2xu5

Last edited by Tomte on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 am

Just tried it out.

Wow. I love "my" Swiss Victorinox Skin Wink ty so much Tomte!
The sound is great - i hear the turbo and feel extremely fast just by the sound...

looking for a test Wink
alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 pm

thx for the update, but mainly, thx for your explanation about how to upgrade.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:09 pm

So there were no handling or performance mods in this update?

I just beat my best Corvette time by a second, in one attempt with this car at Imola! 1:55 something. It took me weeks to get to 1:56 with the vette. Hmmm.

Help me NNB

OOPS, my error, Best Vette time is 1:46, Nevermind.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  NoNameBrand Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am

There are Vette updates galore in the works, anyway. I just need to stop spending so much time playing Halo 3 and Forza 2 on the Christmas X-Box.

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum