LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2

+8
DANDY
slowDan
See Flat
Tomte
Speeddemon
leoantix
alphonse
DonaemouS
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2

Post  Pax-raider Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

You have two top/bottoms Don. Cool

The wiki is right. Just put the left/right coordinate first, the top/bottom coordinate second and the front/rear coordinate last.

I answer in this way because of the potential confusion of what x,y,z mean and how RL interprets them in different situations... clown
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2

Post  DonaemouS Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

thx pax, as i wrote to tomte too, i will try a new fight later today, hoping to get on it. Otherwise, someone will help me later. I will continue to model items and objects.

I annoying all of you, cause I would to release a new RP preview, if Tomte will agree. And the collision boxes are a main thing in the next preview (90 degrees tunnel/gallery and other items spare here and there).
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm

someone is asking: what the hell are they doing on RP track?

Well, you know... Both Tomte and me want all things at the right place, and every object did and modeled as better as possible. Otherwise, we need to aim to performance. We don't want to release a laggy track. So is not easy.

But, what is not easy is trying to have the best looking RP track we can. Although, lot of things need to be placed yet, here is small taste of rp since you have seen last time.

Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2 - Page 2 Redline002tf5.th
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 pm

DonaemouS wrote:someone is asking: what the hell are they doing on RP track?
great looking teaser, looks like you've guys are coming a long way ... keep up the good work Very Happy
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:59 pm

here is small taste

Nice, trees, buildings... I might actually be able to know where I am in all that snow!!! Wink
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 am

DonaemouS wrote:thx pax, as i wrote to tomte too, i will try a new fight later today, hoping to get on it. Otherwise, someone will help me later.
Track is looking great. Just a little note about entity placement: I tried placing an entity in Brooklands using absolute positioning - the model had the same object centre as the scenery and so the collision box had coordinates with very big numbers like {-400,30,-300}. I could place lights in these coordinates but my attempts to put a collision box there were ignored by Redline.

Eventually I gave the object a new centre, re-positioned it on the track and then created an entity with coordinates relative to the new object centre, something much smaller like {-15,0,-10}. This worked fine. So there is an upper limit for coordinates, possibly around 100 is the largest number Redline will accept.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:44 am

djpimley wrote:Eventually I gave the object a new centre, re-positioned it on the track and then created an entity with coordinates relative to the new object centre, something much smaller like {-15,0,-10}. This worked fine. So there is an upper limit for coordinates, possibly around 100 is the largest number Redline will accept.
this is an interesting discovery. I'm thinking about the "items" we will need to place inside the drivable track, and surely we will model 3d object within the x,y,z 0, placing later into the track with TE.

But, the biggest problem is: How the hell we'll give concreteness to 90s tunnel/gallery/wood bridges?

EDIT: I finally placed the first collision box. I'm happy, finally! Now, with Tomte will do a couple of new fixes and will presumably release a new preview.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:14 pm

i was aiming for a today release but, unfortunately, I understood it isn't possible. I worked all the day on RP to have a new beta, something uncompleted yet, but good to looking for. A tons of updates, fixes, new items and scenery's object are in. Also collision boxes for wood bridges, gallery and tunnel, as well as trees placed around are in.

Unfortunately, what wasted my time today and other days, was to make the houses collision box. This was annoying cause today, I decided to give up and removing houses.

The track is still missing the night environment, but I am dead tired to get on it today. I hope to have a release during this week, but probably, will be next end of the week.

Last edited by DonaemouS on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:30 pm

looking forward to it Don. dont burn yourself out. Your suppose to have fun doing it! Wink

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 am

pls read this post:

In first, I would to sincerely say thx to: Tomte, theSnail and ValentinK for their patience tollerating my online stress about the Rocky Pass development.

Thx guys!

This is, surely, the biggest, complex and involving Redline project we ever start. Im quite proud to present our second beta.

Forgot what you saw until now. This is a completely new RP track. We added just some of the scenery items we had in our todo list. WALT turns, School Turn, U Turn, B/C Turns, 90s turns will look new. But we also tweaked the track height lvl with the aim to have a new driving experience, specially approaching the slowest turn (90s and Turn E).

During the development not all went as we would. I needed to remove scenery items, reducing textures quality, reducing items numbers. We soon fight the first fps impact on slower video cards (64MB's Intel GMA).

So, I need your feeling about how this track run on your Macs. But, pls... don't compare this track with the good Monaco. They are completely different. Monaco is one of the complex track we have in Redline. RP will be too, but just cause, differently from monaco, we needing to use a TONS of transparencies, due for trees and pines.

enjoy!
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:10 am

It's beautiful. The lighting seems a little unusual if I compare it to Norwegian and Swedish roads in the winter, I would expect much darker environment lighting and with a mild blue tint, while the sky remains in its current bright colors. Right now, it looks a litte too much like a track with indoors lighting. The textures, however, are great! And it's fun to drive.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 280
Interests : Student / Synth geek / Vinyl collector
Humor : Don't panic, and don't forget your towel.
Favorite Car : Radical SR4 Clubsport
Favorite Track : Black Forest

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:25 am

DonaemouS wrote:
This is, surely, the biggest, complex and involving Redline project we ever start. Im quite proud to present our second beta.

Great work - ty all.
Looks realistic, could be in front of my house Wink

Looking for some mp-fun...
alphonse
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Very nice indeed.

Have not tried driving it yet, maybe later today, but I like what I see. As to the lighting, and not living with snow the sky reminds me of a Winter sky at 38º here in Northern California. Does not give me a sense of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) that I would hope for, nor does it make me want to self prescribe drink to cope before going out for a midday jaunt. Poop Poop!
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 am

Nice work there boys. Great atmosphere, really feels cold. There's a few spots where the bumps need to be smoothed out a bit, and you got the dreaded "clothesline" hanging over some of your treelines (you need to make the UV slightly smaller than the image to avoid this; according to dj, exactly 4 pixels smaller on each side. Twisted Evil ).

Anyway, great progress has been made and a great new track has been added to the RL pantheon.
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Rocky Pass track, 18 jan '09: beta2 - Page 2 Empty mental AI

Post  Tomte Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:36 am

while doing a quick race on RP, I noticed the following AI battle: 968 vs RX-8.

The 968 attemps to pass the RX-8 clearly on the approach to the tunnel, but the RX-8 rather crudely fights for position. On the way down to the 180º turn, the 968 manages to pass without contact, but after the turn, the RX-8 bumps into the 968 so often that is sees no other way to defend it's position as to ... well, see for yourself.

Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 am

heh the AI must of just gotten sick and tired of the abuse ... seems the new RSi and the mini didn't fare well either Surprised
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 am

lol - fantastic AI-fun...
alf
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2