LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go read a book!

+4
GeneralAntilles
Tuktuk
leoantix
djpimley
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Go read a book! Empty Re: Go read a book!

Post  djpimley Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:39 am

See Flat wrote:And I'm pretty sure we the majority of us dont care about an iPod touch/iPhone arcade game.
I'm with you there, SF. You know what I do on the way to work every morning? I read a book. What an old fashioned idea! Razz I prefer to expand my mind instead of wasting precious moments of my life by staring at a 4 inch screen and collecting power ups.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:49 am

djpimley wrote:I read a book
book!? ... what's that, is that a new gadget?

Last edited by leoantix on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:31 am

Sounds like using games on iPhone /-Touch would disqualify from reading books ...

Either you are a reader or not - a screen will not change it.

djpimley wrote:[...]I prefer to expand my mind instead of wasting precious moments of my life by staring at a 4 inch screen and collecting power ups.

That's why I am playing Redline on my 40''-Flatscreen connected with my Mac Mini *hehe*

Last edited by Tuktuk on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:46 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Correctings ... Addings ... more Addings ... and deleting again ...)

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralAntilles Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:05 am

djpimley wrote:I prefer to expand my mind instead of wasting precious moments of my life by staring at a 4 inch screen and collecting power ups.

When did the iPhone get a screen upgrade?

What about reading on a 4.1" screen? Hmm? What now, dj? Razz

Go read a book! 2848217584_7b9203a3bf
GeneralAntilles
GeneralAntilles

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 pm

djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralAntilles Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 pm

djpimley wrote:

Yes, because paper is so important to the book reading "experience". :rolleyes:
GeneralAntilles
GeneralAntilles

Back to top Go down

Post  JW Barto Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

See Flat wrote:And I'm pretty sure we the majority of us dont care about an iPod touch/iPhone arcade game. Dont get me wrong, I'm one of the few who does not have a grudge againts ambrosia, I think I really got my money's worth out of this game but arcade games with cannons, power ups and turbo boosts have nothing to do with racing.

SF

I think you misunderstood SF. I wasn't asking Ambrosia to make a Redline "arcade" game. My point was they could be the first to make a true simulator for the iPhone... with the driving physics and multiplayer that have made it a hit with all of us.

The comment about people in this forum not caring about iPhone or iPod touch games is your opinion. One of the forum members asked about games on the iPhone and I answered. Do you want to censor threads just because you don't have an interest in them? Who are you to question what is and is not brought up?

And to those commenting about reading... I'm glad you read on your way to work. I have to drive to work so it would be kind of hard to read. I listen to podcasts/audiobooks in the car that are downloaded to my iPhone. I guess that makes me an idiot though, right?

JWB
JW Barto
JW Barto
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Favorite Car : Cheetah
Favorite Track : Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:59 am

Ha ha! Chill out, gadget freaks. Perhaps your nipple clamps are too tight?

I was lighting a fire because I knew you guys would jump into it. Basketball

JW: listening to audiobooks on your iPod does not make you an idiot - though in real life as in Redline, I actually prefer to drive without distraction because I like to listen to the engine.

GA: nice e-book, try reading 200+ pages on that thing with it's inadequate resolution, slow refresh and crappy contrast ratio - great way to ruin your eyesight. Those three things, along with manufacturing cost and power consumption are the major reason e-books have not replaced printed media as of 2008. And yes, trying to read a novel on one of those does make you an idiot.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 am

topic split ... this thread should be fun

leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 am

JW Barto wrote:The comment about people in this forum not caring about iPhone or iPod touch games is your opinion. One of the forum members asked about games on the iPhone and I answered. Do you want to censor threads just because you don't have an interest in them? Who are you to question what is and is not brought up?

....audiobooks in the car that are downloaded to my iPhone. I guess that makes me an idiot though, right?
JWB
I have an ipod Touch. I have some games on it. That was not my point. Point... forget porting redline to such a small device. It has trouble running on multiprocessor macs. I answered what I did because some people were mentioning car games... and all of them were arcade junk. So I made the comment that no one that loves Redline such as the more purist legacy flavor, a multiplaying community of simmers really do not care about such games.

.. and no one is calling you an idiot, and certainly, no one was talking about censoring anything.

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 303
Interests : Music / Redline
Favorite Car : Volvo S60R STCC
Favorite Track : Monaco

http://legacyoflies.com/tcc/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralAntilles Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 am

djpimley wrote:
GA: nice e-book, try reading 200+ pages on that thing with it's inadequate resolution, slow refresh and crappy contrast ratio - great way to ruin your eyesight. Those three things, along with manufacturing cost and power consumption are the major reason e-books have not replaced printed media as of 2008. And yes, trying to read a novel on one of those does make you an idiot.

I've read close to 150 books on it (and my 770 before that) in the past 3 years. It's 800x480 (that'd be 225dpi, very close to print), so, no, it's not low resolution (actually, probably higher dpi than most of the cheap mass-markets), no the refresh rate isn't an issue (it's an LCD, not a CRT) and the contrast ratio is perfectly fine (black is black, white is white, much better contrast ratio than reading a book in the dark).

Oh, and it's no stupid ebook reader, not by a long shot. :rolleyes:
GeneralAntilles
GeneralAntilles

Back to top Go down

Go read a book! Empty Point taken SF.

Post  JW Barto Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:20 am

I understand now what you are saying about the sim purists, See. At first your initial post struck me as arrogant because you had chosen to speak for the majority in this forum. You've been hanging with this crowd longer than me and you know their minds so I apologize for the defensive stance that I took.

About Redline on an iPhone or iTouch (I know that's not it's real name... easier to say though, IMHO) - the request was supposed to be a "wouldn't it be cool if...?" kind of a statement. Hardly anyone in the world plays sim on Redline anyway - if you don't count this core bunch - so most people would use an arcade variation of the game if it did make the jump. The exposure that the actual Redline could receive however due to an iPhone/touch version being released could be significant if promoted correctly.

DJ, you are a hypocrite. Just look at your little icon there. It depicts you slurping intelligence out of what is clearly an iPod nano! I rest my case. ;-)

Really Leo? A new thread for this? Come on...

Well, since opinions are like assholes (everyone has one) then here is mine: Books are ok and gadgets are ok... expanding your mind (not wasting precious moments of your life) is great. Doesn't matter how the knowledge gets in there as long as it gets in there.

JWB

PS - I drive 30 miles on a straight 2 lane highway every day. There's not much to listen to DJ as far as engine sounds!

Last edited by JW Barto on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : grammatical errors)
JW Barto
JW Barto
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 54
Favorite Car : Cheetah
Favorite Track : Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:38 pm

He, I am reading a book already! study At present: Memoirs Found in a Bathtub by Stanislaw Lem. I adore him because his books are just wonderful.

iPhone: The fact now all racing games for it are arcade stuff doesn't mean in the future there couldn't be a great sim racing game. The acceleration sensor has a lot of potential.

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:42 pm

GeneralAntilles wrote:
probably higher dpi than most of the cheap mass-markets
When you read a book, the DPI of the printed word is only half the story Laughing because the ink is absorbed and distributed on the surface of the paper by a natural blotting action. It's the texture of the page that your eyes are focusing on, rendering the DPI of the printing machinery somewhat moot. Of course if like me, you enjoy an occasional bit of 1960's vintage Penguin classic pulp, the printer is analogue and the notion of DPI is irrelevant.

GeneralAntilles wrote:
no the refresh rate isn't an issue (it's an LCD, not a CRT) and the contrast ratio is perfectly fine (black is black, white is white, much better contrast ratio than reading a book in the dark).
Most passive LCD's have a much too low contrast ratio and unpleasant refresh characteristics, whereas active backlit LCDs actually have a much too high contrast ratio. While you are reading the text on a backlit LCD there is an ongoing stream of relatively high energy photons firing directly from the screen into your eyeballs. Staring directly at bright light sources for extended periods of time is not good for your eyes and can be migraine-inducing.

As for reading a book in the dark... jocolor

GeneralAntilles wrote:
I've read close to 150 books on it (and my 770 before that) in the past 3 years.
How's your eyesight? Very Happy

Go read a book! Image010
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:48 pm

JW Barto wrote:Really Leo? A new thread for this? Come on...
why not? for one, it didn't belong under the first mac thread. secondly, we are all friends here ... a worthy and juicy discussion over a simple topic never hurts.

play nice kids bounce

leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Go read a book! Empty you think you will have experienced it ... but you havent..... get real!

Post  See Flat Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:21 pm

And by the way DJ.... as a person who loves movies.... I really appreciated the Lynch clip of his opinion about watching movies on mall devices.
I love the youtube app on the iPhone/Touch for what it is. Watching youtube clips, which are actually that size to begin with. I never blow them up on my large screens as they look terrible... and look great on the iPod Touch Smile

SF
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Speeddemon Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm

See Flat wrote:
I love the youtube app on the iPhone/Touch for what it is. Watching youtube clips, which are actually that size to begin with. I never blow them up on my large screens as they look terrible... and look great on the iPod Touch Smile
Agreed.
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 121
Interests : Redline, umm, let's see now, there's got to be another interest I have...
Favorite Car : Lola T300
Favorite Track : Safari Rally
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:35 pm

leoantix wrote:
why not? for one, it didn't belong under the first mac thread. secondly, we are all friends here ... a worthy and juicy discussion over a simple topic never hurts.

Uuups ... bit by bit I beginn to feel guilty because I throwed in the iPhone. So for me: Mac = Apple = iPhone *hehe* Sorry for this generalization.

And maybe somebody is here with an iPhone as his first "Mac" scratch

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Speeddemon Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:01 pm

[quote="Tuktuk"]
leoantix wrote:
And maybe somebody is here with an iPhone as his first "Mac" scratch
On this forum, impossible as only Redline players are here.
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 121
Interests : Redline, umm, let's see now, there's got to be another interest I have...
Favorite Car : Lola T300
Favorite Track : Safari Rally
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  slowDan Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm

yadda yadda yadda
I'll just chip in with the old favourite, "Content is King!"

I don't care if its on a palmtop, projected on a wall or printed on the back of a cereal packet, I'll probably read it. Laughing

I love reading my really old (c. 1957) Asimov paperbacks jut as much as I love reading Sherlock Holmes stories from Project Gutenburg. If I had an iphone I'd read on that too. Wink
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 92
Interests : Design/Racing!
Favorite Car : Porsche 968 RS Turbo
Favorite Track : Spa Francorchamps

http://slowdan.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 pm

Speeddemon wrote:
On this forum, impossible as only Redline players are here.

Your conclusion is illogical. Also on THIS forum consisting of Redline players only it could be possible.

But it is really a waste of time starting a discussion about that.

Also this split off thread is a joke - because it is an artifical one. All that iPhone stuff would have been forgotten long ago normally. The problem was the elitist answer by See Flat - stirring it all up for nothing.

I got an friendly answer by JW Barto to my iPhone question in the original mother thread - everything was good and could have been over.

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Tuktuk wrote:All that iPhone stuff would have been forgotten long ago normally. The problem was the elitist answer by See Flat - stirring it all up for nothing.
Nothing wrong with an elitist rant, it sorts the shit-stirrers from the shit-eaters - and I know which side I prefer to be on. Twisted Evil
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 pm

slowDan, I'm from the story story story schools as well, so yes content, but film as an artform does have different perspectives. As in painting, a 6 by 8 canvas can be cool, the side of a building can also be grand. So some movies designed to be viewed on imax, dont really do well on an ipod touch. But of course, I know you know this.

Tuktuk wrote:
Also this split off thread is a joke - because it is an artifical one. All that iPhone stuff would have been forgotten long ago normally. The problem was the elitist answer by See Flat - stirring it all up for nothing.

Your putting way too much into this... we are just having fun. Legacy style. Leo opened this place for this and if he judges to split a topic so it takes a life of it's own, so be it.

SF

me elitist? pfffff. snob perhaps, mediocre simmer at best, shit disturber at times... but elitist! nah.....

somebody's gotta do thomm's job.
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  See Flat Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 pm

leoantix wrote:
JW Barto wrote:Really Leo? A new thread for this? Come on...
why not? for one, it didn't belong under the first mac thread. secondly, we are all friends here ...
play nice kids

You didnt even split it at my post and I'm getting blamed!!! jocolor
See Flat
See Flat
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  leoantix Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:15 am

See Flat wrote:Your putting way too much into this... we are just having fun. Legacy style. Leo opened this place for this and if he judges to split a topic so it takes a life of it's own, so be it. me elitist? pfffff. snob perhaps, mediocre simmer at best, shit disturber at times... but elitist! nah.....
i couldn't have said it better myself ... and please jw take what we say here with a grain of salt, we don't have to agree all the time to share common interests and fun

djpimley wrote:Nothing wrong with an elitist rant, it sorts the shit-stirrers from the shit-eaters - and I know which side I prefer to be on. Twisted Evil
guilty as well Embarassed
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next