LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charming english accents

+2
Toad
C14ru5
6 posters

Go down

Charming english accents Empty Charming english accents

Post  C14ru5 Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Rally drivers. Brilliant racing talents, not so brilliant english pronounciation:

As a Norwegian, I find the accent of the Solberg brothers completely hilarious. Or maybe I should just generalize and say "We Norwegians all find this accent completely hilarious". Maybe it's more fun to us since it's so completely over the top in stereotypical Norwegian-English, and I don't know if those of you who've never heard Norwegian find this funny. Basically, Henning Solberg is just speaking Norwegian and swapping his words with English translations as he goes along. For instance, in the sentence at 0:36, his linguistic tone is plain and simple Norwegian.

Best phrase in the video above: Shouting "HÆ?!" at the interviewer, in the purest norwegian you can imagine. Just like a farmer in some desolate place who meets a foreigner for the first time, not being able to comprehend anything, just shouting "HUH?" back Laughing

Oh, and "It's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell" (correct: it's not the speed that kills you, it's the crash)
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 280
Interests : Student / Synth geek / Vinyl collector
Humor : Don't panic, and don't forget your towel.
Favorite Car : Radical SR4 Clubsport
Favorite Track : Black Forest
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Charming english accents Empty Re: Charming english accents

Post  Toad Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, for someone with a boring ass California accent, it is kind of musical; and I find it a little charming. Makes him sound like an upbeat kind of guy too. And he's doing a hell of a lot better than I would if the shoe were on the other foot. Actually I probably would never have made it to the interview, after impaling myself on some tree.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 pm

I had a friend from Telemark, he spoke English with a similar accent. I quite like that. The melody you have in Norwegian, Swedish or even Icelandic just sounds so lovely in English.
On the other side I mostly get cold shivers when I hear a Frenchman speaking English... apart from the sometimes incomprehensible pronounciation, it's very very flat in tone.
But who am I talking about accents ... Smile
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:02 pm

Tomte wrote:I had a friend from Telemark
Funnily enough, a true Norwegian Telemark dialect is almost incomprehensible to most Norwegians if you're not used to hearing it. It's about as rare as Kölsch is in German, and it's about as different from other Norwegian dalects as the Berlin dialect is from the Swiss German dialect.

Most non-fluent English-speaking Norwegians tend to try to avoid the "Solberg Brothers accent" and instead play it safe by alternating almost every other syllable with high and low pitch and high and low emphasis (while in English, it should really be just once or twice during your average sentence, and with smooth transitions). Also, for some strange reason (probably anticipatory assimilation), many of us pronounce V in front of an English word as W. I flinch whenever I hear that happen with someone. I've received comments from an American before that I sound Canadian, but I think that was him trying to determine the origin of my linguistic tone, and not judging by any accidental canadian pronounciations of vowels.

Tomte wrote:The melody you have in Norwegian, Swedish or even Icelandic just sounds so lovely in English.
Norwegian and Icelandic accents sound quite similar, while Danish, Swedish and Finnish accents are very different from everyone else and different from each other as well. While Norwegians and the Icelandic sound like birds of different sizes (icelandic are mostly "larger birds" compared to the norwegian accents), Finns sound like large trolls, Swedes sound like poetic cellos, and Danes sound like drunken Germans.

Tomte wrote: On the other side I mostly get cold shivers when I hear a Frenchman speaking English... apart from the sometimes incomprehensible pronounciation, it's very very flat in tone.
But who am I talking about accents ... Smile
Hehe, those accents remind me of watching 'Allo, 'Allo! in my childhood:

"Good Moaning!" -Officer Crabtree
and of course:
"Zeh Pikcha off zeh fallen Madonna vis zeh big boobies" -Herr Flick of the Gestapo
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm

C14ru5 wrote:Danes sound like drunken Germans.
There's my take-away statement for this topic. Very Happy
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Example of a Dane speaking English:

That was the real thing, but the clip below from a comedy show on Norwegian TV takes the Danish-English accent to the next level:

C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Goon Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Well I live in North Dakota ( a lot of norwegains here) an yes this is really funny. Surprised)
Goon
Goon
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 8
Humor : barrow money from a pessimist he won't expect it back
Favorite Car : lotus exige Gt3 or the blown vette
Favorite Track : dakar
Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Yeah, as if the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony wasn't painful enough to sit through watching live (on TV)... then came this speech held by an old school Norwegian head of the committee. I was trying to catch the exact reasoning behind why Obama won, but had to mute the TV and read the translation text instead. His accent was EMBARASSING. (Pronouncing 'but' as 'bøtt' with extra emphasis? That made me want to flee the room and change citizenship). Thankfully, I guess most international viewers could endure that speech and forgot everything as soon as Obama came on stage and saved the world with his exquisite oratory skills. Again.

Warning: Only for the head-strong
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:57 pm

I was surprised to hear that he actually showed up. This early report makes more sense:

"OSLO, NORWAY (The Borowitz Report) - Responding to criticism about his receiving this year's Nobel Peace Prize, President Barack Obama today sent an unmanned predator drone to Norway to pick up the prize for him.

Mr. Obama's decision to have an unmanned bomber plane accept the Peace Prize raised eyebrows in diplomatic circles, as well as concerns about whether the plane was accurate enough for such a delicate mission.

"We know there's a possibility that the predator drone might miss Norway altogether and instead hit Finland," said White House press spokesman Robert Gibbs. "Having said that, an unmanned plane is still more accurate than one manned by a couple of Northwest pilots."

Elsewhere, a new study shows that teens who experiment with sex are at risk of getting involved in professional golf."
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuktuk Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:25 pm

Toad wrote:[...]
Haha! Too funny. Very Happy

Tuktuk
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-08-29