LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The road to 2.0...

3 posters

Go down

The road to 2.0... Empty The road to 2.0...

Post  NoNameBrand Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:00 am

I've acquired a high-poly model of a C6 Corvette (claims to be a C6.R, actually, but it's more like a Z06 with body kit), and I've been using it as a guide to revise my Z06 model:

The road to 2.0... Z06_2_1
The road to 2.0... Z06_2_2
The road to 2.0... Z06_2_3
(compare the last to this)

I've remodelled the front bumper, moved the headlights and mirrors, adjusted the A & B pillars, the roof, and added the tray area for the wipers. From the photo, the mirrors have to return forwards a bit, and the front fenders need to be rounder and taller.

The roof is the only place I've increased the number of polygons by more than a couple, so the poly count is now at 2084 triangles (from 1820).

After this will be a revised texture set based on the new UV map, the interior, then re-creating the ZR1/Z06-R/C6.R cars from this base model (wheeeee).

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

The road to 2.0... Empty Re: The road to 2.0...

Post  DonaemouS Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:34 pm

NoNameBrand wrote:I've acquired a high-poly model of a C6 Corvette
Do acquired mean bought?

Also, are this model going to replace your corvette "a la" BMW M5 E39?
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  NoNameBrand Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

DonaemouS wrote:
NoNameBrand wrote:I've acquired a high-poly model of a C6 Corvette
Do acquired mean bought?
No, Maxwell found a free .c4d model, got Ren to convert it to .obj for him (because mine sucked, and he wanted something cool). Val told me, and so I sent Maxwell a PM on the ASW forums, promising I'd make a Mustang GT500KR (he asked for KITT) if he sent me the .obj for the 'Vette.

Also, are this model going to replace your corvette "a la" BMW M5 E39?

Well, I'm certainly not using Maxwell's 300,000 polygon Corvette rice rocket for a model, I'm just using it as a guide to update my Z06 model (as seen above, without the (mangled) texture). I used the same process for the Mustang, except that I started from a cube there, and I have my old Corvette model as a base here.

After it's done and skinned properly, I'll duplicate the body twice, making one copy into the ZR1, and adding a wing to the third, which will then be split into C6.R and Z06-R models.

I'm not looking forward to re-doing the 16 skins for the race cars. Suspect

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:47 pm

16 skins.... is the old model that far off that it can't be mapped to the old textures?

Using a single add-on model for each variant would reduce the number of full models you have to deal with...just a thought.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  NoNameBrand Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 pm

DANDY wrote:16 skins.... is the old model that far off that it can't be mapped to the old textures?

"Re-doing" is a bit misleading. Currently, the Z06/ZR1/Z06-R have the same UV map (with additions for the extra bits simply filling empty space on the original Z06 map), while the C6.R is quite different (I UV mapped the Z06 and C6.R after the cars had been modelled (ie, the C6.R branched off), as I didn't realise how easy it is to adjust the UV map. I'm not making that mistake this time.

The new UV map will be pretty close to the current Z06 one, mostly I'll just have to reposition the trim elements, which means the road cars are pretty straight forward. Unfortunately, the current Z06-R skins are in a number of different .psd files, so I'll have to sort something out there with layer groups to get them updated. The C6.R will require a lot more work still (one .psd per skin).

Good that I like texture work.

Using a single add-on model for each variant would reduce the number of full models you have to deal with...just a thought.

I'd need to make the hood, side panels, diffuser, rear wing (the little one and the racing one), and splitters parts of the add-on for each car. That leaves the roof and the head/brake light areas as the biggest common elements between all four. Not much better than splitting off from a finished Z06.

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down