LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor

+4
amped™
DonaemouS
NoNameBrand
C14ru5
8 posters

Go down

TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor Empty TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor

Post  C14ru5 Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am

I just noticed that TOCA Race Driver 3, my favorite racing game on the XBox, has been released for Macintosh:

http://www.feralinteractive.com/?game=rd3

Unless the Mac port is poor, I expect this game to have better physics, better multiplayer racing, better singleplayer career, and better visuals/audio than Redline. Redline's advantages are lower price, lower system requirements, and user-created content.

Games4Mac.de has links to two separate demos available, although the links are currently down. I really need to try this game - it's the best console racing game I ever played, with PGR2 and the Forza series trailing right behind.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 280
Interests : Student / Synth geek / Vinyl collector
Humor : Don't panic, and don't forget your towel.
Favorite Car : Radical SR4 Clubsport
Favorite Track : Black Forest
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor Empty Re: TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor

Post  NoNameBrand Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Isn't it by the same group that did the Colin McRae games? the cars and (asphalt) tracks in CMR just didn't feel right.

I'm not too worried. It's not like Ambrosia is selling a lot of Redline, anyway. If they wanted to promote it more, they should really advertise the fantastic community-made content - unlike EV:N's huge collection of community-made content, Redline's is better than what came with the game.

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.
Favorite Track : Spa-Francorchamps

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor Empty Re: TOCA 3 - Serious Redline Competitor

Post  C14ru5 Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 pm

NoNameBrand wrote:Isn't it by the same group that did the Colin McRae games? the cars and (asphalt) tracks in CMR just didn't feel right.
It is indeed Codemasters, and they also made Race Driver GRID. Those games have excellent visuals and damage simulation, on the expense of a more arcade feel during driving. A large number of TOCA fans hated that Codemasters had dumbed down the simulation phylics in GRID, which was hyped to be the successor of TOCA 3.

TOCA 3 was my inspiration for making the Ultimas, by the way.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm

i think, the big advantage in redline, is its community...

imho
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  amped™ Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:35 pm

DonaemouS wrote:i think, the big advantage in redline, is its community...

imho

+1.. i play gran turismo on the ps3 once in a while..and its a great game, but the community isn't nearly as tight knit as we are here. it's what makes many of us keep coming back....we really have become a little family. There are other games with fancy looks and stuff, but what we have developed here as a community is something that can't be replaced........ happy to be a part of it Smile

amped™
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 142
Interests : Graphic duhziner, honkey, handsome, sweetheart
Humor : no, there i none of that
Favorite Car : honkeymobile™
Favorite Track : honkey hideout

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Seems like the links are working now, I just tried both demos. Directly available from http://download.games4mac.de/. Honda Civic @ Donington, Mercedes C-klasse DTM @ Hockenheim, Holden Commodore VZ @ Phillip Island, and a stupid Baya Buggy race (the gravel and rally simuation leaves alot to be desired, but the tarmac racing is great stuff)

Even though I'm buying this game, you won't lose me to the devil anytime soon Very Happy
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxDamage Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:48 pm

anyone seen a torrent? Wink
MaxDamage
MaxDamage
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 65
Interests : Business Administration / Business Information Systems / Redline
Humor : none
Favorite Car : Chaparral J2 / Mini
Favorite Track : Silverstone / City
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  NoNameBrand Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:29 pm

Yeah! Got to Feral's site and click "buy".

NoNameBrand
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 321
Interests : guitar, photography
Humor : ...is properly spelled 'humour'.

http://lonelyfridge.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:27 pm

Looks like its Intel only? My German isn't exactly fluent, but thats my impression from the website. Hence, chalk up another advantage to RL. I'll be checking this out tonight on my Intel iMac; Feral's Total Immersion Racing was pretty good, so I'm expecting it to look good. The physics will be interesting to see. As far as one of the demo tracks, I have this feeling we'll be able to run it in RL as well, sometime before xmas.
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 281
Humor : Eddie Izzard, Python
Favorite Car : Ferrari 156 Sharknose
Favorite Track : Monaco
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomte Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Pax-raider wrote:As far as one of the demo tracks, I have this feeling we'll be able to run it in RL as well, sometime before xmas.
Baya buggy? Cool! Very Happy
Tomte
Tomte
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 559
Interests : my daughter... hardly any time for anything else
Humor : I'm German. Was ist Humor?
Favorite Car : I'm not the driver, I'm the mechanic.

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Pax-raider wrote:I'll be checking this out tonight on my Intel iMac (...) As far as one of the demo tracks, I have this feeling we'll be able to run it in RL as well
If you use Google Earth, pictures from the track, and this game as reference, I think you're on pretty safe ground. TOCA is supposed to have very accurate British racing circuits, and driving the track inside a game gives you a better feel than having to watch YouTube videos.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Does anybody know if they used GPS logging on their tracks to get real-world accuracy??
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  C14ru5 Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:35 pm

From the Press release December 2005:
Codemasters wrote:Every track has been authentically recreated for the game using real-world GPS topographical data so players are guaranteed to experience them just as real race drivers do. For Mount Panorama (Bathurst), a new geographic survey of the circuit was commissioned exclusively for the game
The only negative feedback I've read on their forums regarding track accuracy is that Oulton Park "is horrible compared to the real thing". I don't know if that comment corcerns visuals or topography. The banking at Laguna Seca is also different than in GT4 and Forza, I don't know which one is more correct. If I have the time during the holidays, I'll try to help Waderz out with Mount Panorama using this game as reference.
C14ru5
C14ru5
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax-raider Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Just tried it out, and unless there was a video setting I was missing, its visually pretty pathetic. Steering with the keyboard was awful - massive over-reactions at all speeds, car felt like it was boat. Seriously underwhelmed with the whole thing, I don't see this as being a match for RL at all... Suspect
Pax-raider
Pax-raider
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  djpimley Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 pm

DonaemouS wrote:i think, the big advantage in redline, is its community...
Got it in one.
djpimley
djpimley
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down