LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redline Rally?

5 posters

Go down

Redline Rally? Empty Redline Rally?

Post  slowDan Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:09 am

As it seems the next touring car event might be a while off, I thought it might be worth seeing what you all think of another idea I've had kicking around for a little while.

Now that we have a nice wide array of rally tracks, thanks to Snail's magic elves Wink, it should be possible to put together a real rally type event. So here's how I'm thinking it could work:

When the race is started only pole position actually goes on the countdown. 2nd place must wait for 1 minute before starting and so on down the field. At the end all you would need is a screenshot and a little maths to work out total times. It could be run with the host as a referee if you need to make absolutely sure everyone is being fair but a replay would do just as well. The only downside is a reasonably long wait in game for the last runner (at the start) and the first runner (at the end) but at least they could watch the driving. Very Happy

With the tracks we have now we could have 2 tracks a day over 2 days. 6 racers per host would give a session of around 45 mins each day and you could run more than one host in the same competition without any problems as none of the cars interact (in theory! Wink ). Determine the tracks to run and the order as a dice roll at the last minute to make sure there is an element of surprise and it could be good fun.

I'm sure there is lots of details I haven't thought of yet and I'm not exactly volunteering to run it all, but what do you think?
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Number of posts : 92
Interests : Design/Racing!
Favorite Car : Porsche 968 RS Turbo
Favorite Track : Spa Francorchamps
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://slowdan.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Redline Rally? Empty Re: Redline Rally?

Post  leoantix Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:48 pm

i myself like to race in a group. i always find it much more satisfying and fun, especially with skilled drivers. also to add, the idea of running internal sessions during a race with redline's features may get complicated and frustrating. i like the idea of a rally event though. i think we have plenty of cars and tracks to come up with something good here.
leoantix
leoantix
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 657
Interests : construction, racing, women, quake
Humor : is purely optional
Favorite Car : sauber c9, radical sr4 & sr8
Favorite Track : lime rock, pembrey, monza
Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.legacyoflies.com/?p=home

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Just a quick note to say I like the idea, sounds like fun. I know I would participate, and as I don't contribute anything in the way of cars and tracks, or hosting for that matter, maybe I could help with the organization of such an event. Though later in the year, when work is a little slower, say after Christmas.

Used to love watching WRC events on TV with that in car view, this seems to be kind of like that. I can imagine not being too bored with the waiting part if every one was on Teemspeak and chatting away an commenting while waiting to go.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 184
Interests : Nortons
Humor : What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
Favorite Track : Mugello

Back to top Go down

Post  slowDan Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:43 am

leoantix wrote:i myself like to race in a group.
Circuit racing is a completely different discipline for sure. I guess this is more like a time trial challenge in some ways but with the added element that you could catch up with the guy in front, if he makes a mistake or two. Passing cleanly on narrow bumpy tracks such as these is always going to be a huge challenge though. In my case just staying on the track itself is enough of a challenge! Very Happy

In this case I don't think the staggered start would be too much work. After all, we managed rolling starts and Redline isn't really designed for those either! Wink Perhaps having the startline marked on the track might help though.
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:11 am

i'm for street races. I mean, like to have tarmac under my tires. I received Colin McRae Rally for Macintosh review, and is still waiting to be installed.

Perhaps Toca Race Driver may be better... But its already old, very old!
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 pm

DonaemouS wrote:i'm for street races. I mean, like to have tarmac under my tires. I received Colin McRae Rally for Macintosh review, and is still waiting to be installed.

Perhaps Toca Race Driver may be better... But its already old, very old!

Tried this game the moment it was released, what a dud after all the hype to build it up. If I remember rightly the physics were ridiculous, way to easy and not realistic at all. Great graphics though.
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  theSnail .@y Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Of course, I like the idea too.
Like Leo, I must admit I'd rather race in a group - but it can become a real mess. We have all tested enough tracks to know that Smile
Your idea is a good one, and I'd like to try. Maybe we could try different solutions before starting some kind of tournament ?

With 1 minute between each drivers, drivers should not interact since we very seldom have more than 1 minute difference between 1st and last cars in a rally race of 8 or 10 mins. Then, should we play in multiplayers ? Release the track at 20:00 utc and ask the drivers to send their screenshot and redlog at 20:10 utc for instance ...
We'll miss the interactivity of mp though, like in the time trials ...

If you want, I can build tracks in advance and the organisers of such events can release them as they want ... just ask for it and specify caracteristics !
theSnail .@y
theSnail .@y
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 131
Favorite Car : Many
Favorite Track : A lot

Back to top Go down

Post  slowDan Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:11 am

theSnail .@y wrote:
With 1 minute between each drivers, drivers should not interact since we very seldom have more than 1 minute difference between 1st and last cars in a rally race of 8 or 10 mins. Then, should we play in multiplayers ? Release the track at 20:00 utc and ask the drivers to send their screenshot and redlog at 20:10 utc for instance ...
Getting everyone together in MP makes it much more of an occasion, and helps to put the pressure on! Maybe 30secs would be enough gap? I just worry that one good smash into a tree would put two cars together, plus the maths is a lot easier with 1 minute gaps! Very Happy

If you want, I can build tracks in advance and the organisers of such events can release them as they want ... just ask for it and specify caracteristics !
A custom built brand new rally for the event! Shocked

That would be amazing. I wasn't sure how hard it is to make one of these, I thought that re-using the old ones would be easier.
slowDan
slowDan
Addict
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 pm

[quote="slowDan"][quote="theSnail .@y"]
Getting everyone together in MP makes it much more of an occasion, and helps to put the pressure on! Maybe 30secs would be enough gap? I just worry that one good smash into a tree would put two cars together, plus the maths is a lot easier with 1 minute gaps! Very Happy
[quote]

I think having two cars ending up together should not be a big problem, as the race is for time not position. If driver A loses a whole minute to driver B then his race is toast anyway. He should simply give up the position to driver B and follow quietly to the finish. A professional courtesy of sorts Neutral
Toad
Toad
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  theSnail .@y Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:01 pm

slowDan wrote:
A custom built brand new rally for the event! Shocked
That would be amazing. I wasn't sure how hard it is to make one of these, I thought that re-using the old ones would be easier.
Well, it's a matter of entering parameters, pressing enter, waiting some seconds (sometimes minutes for longer tracks) and ... that's all.
Even the bridges are positionned automatically cheers

I always test the tracks though because sometimes (not often) the track is uninteresting or has a flaw despite the automated checking that is done ...
So several tracks can be generated in a day alien

While in MP, I once generated a track on demand. Maybe someone remembers that Smile ?
theSnail .@y
theSnail .@y
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 131
Favorite Car : Many
Favorite Track : A lot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content