LEGACYOFLIES.COM - FORUMS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new car help

5 posters

Go down

new car help Empty new car help

Post  amped™ Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Ok, as is pretty clear, im in the market for a new ride. While i love my 2000 seville sls, its getting close to departure. 150k miles and a nagging head gasket issue are things that will only get worse with time. Soooo. Since summer of last year ive been on the hunt for a volvo s40 t5 awd with a 6speed. These things are ridiculously hard to find. If i do find one it's either got way too many miles on it, or is way out of my price range. Anyways, I found one. It's an 05 with everything im looking for minus the sunroof, which i can live without.

My question to all of you......anyone know anything about these cars? reliability? maintenance cost? etc etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I've been googling around for months doing research and find the random story here and there, some good, some bad. So, lay it on me kids!

amped™
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 142
Interests : Graphic duhziner, honkey, handsome, sweetheart
Humor : no, there i none of that
Favorite Car : honkeymobile™
Favorite Track : honkey hideout
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

new car help Empty Re: new car help

Post  DonaemouS Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:27 pm

One of my customer had a Volvo S40, before giving back to buy the Mercedes C class. He was bored of HIGH maintenance cost Volvo here in italy apply to cars. Volvos are solid cars, yes, but they are expensive here. I can't imagine how much they could be in USA.

When I was going to buy the first Volvo C30 release, people dissuaded me to do that. I even got a good leasing compromise with Volvo Financial. A down-payment of 6000 Euros and about 400 Euros at month for 2 years, and the option to give back the car and get a brand new with no costs.

One more thing I thought were the fuel cost, in italy they is very high, and Volvo is not the best car in consumption. This was my 2 experiences with a Volvo, but I never had or driven one.
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Number of posts : 742
Favorite Car : BMW M Coupe
Favorite Track : Nordschleife

http://www.games4mac.it

Back to top Go down

Post  alphonse Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Our VW Sharan VR6 syncro, eating up tons of petrol (15l / 100km) has come to its end.
It was 14 years old and not only consumption but also repair has come to a level where it ends for me.

Proudly announcing to have bought a french car, a Citroen C4 Picasso, 2 years old.
Diesel engine, some extras you may or may not need.
After all a decision of logic, given the circumstances of life.
I was looking at many cars, french (Peugeot, Renault, Citroen), german (BMW, Audi, Merc), skoda, Chevrolet, ... many.
Hope to have luck and fun with it Wink

new car help 6986808

new car help 6986808-6

alf
alphonse
alphonse

Number of posts : 449
Interests : Hobbies:tennis in summer, curling in winter, and fooling around all the time...
Humor : from black to white (no racism in here)
Favorite Car : Porsche 968, Mini, some C2's, of course the Alfa TCC Wink
Favorite Track : Monaco GP, Imola, Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentin K Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Sounds and looks like a reasonable choice! Which engine do you have in it? My father had a Peugeot 307 Break with the 1.6 HDI 110 for about 3 years and 180000 km - proved to be a good car overall.
Valentin K
Valentin K
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 219
Interests : Redline, scale modelling
Humor : What's humor? Can you eat that?
Favorite Car : TVR Speed 12, RE Amemiya RX-7, Cheetah GT
Favorite Track : Nürburgring Nordschleife
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 pm

=o displays near the dashboard border fans?
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:44 am

amped™ wrote:looking at volvos
+1 on Don's comments. No experience, only hearsay and reviews on recent Volvos in general indicate very high maintenance costs, with crap electronics - windows stuck down in dead of winter, for instance. Longer waits for parts and even higher prices in this part of the world. I haven't seen anything negative about the S40 though, it just wouldn't be my first choice with a 95% front-drive bias and a fairly weak lag-inducing turbo. We had a 740 turbo in the family a few years back, and it was great - rear drive, decent power, leather sport seats strangely reminiscent of a rig's - "Boxy, but good!" rang true. I'm not sure this car offers the same kind of experience. RWD is just too much fun.
In AWD sedans, have you considered Scooby Legacy GT or a G35x? They appear to be the same price range with 50/50 and rear bias respectively. Probably worth test driving if you're shopping in the segment.

No go on the Z3? Not terribly practical, but it has a great engine - the only aluminum block 2.8 in an e36 in the US market. Maintenance is also high with fragile suspension components, but less of an issue with a low purchase price.

ATM I'm mightily impressed by the value of the 2011/12 Mustang. The V6 has 300+ hp and gets 30+ mpg, cheaper and probably easier to live as a daily driver than a 370Z or Genesis, as it's more sporty coupe than sports car - just don't forget the performance pack. I'll be looking carefully at them in a year or so, will be hard to decide btw GT or V6. If you need 4 doors, this one's obviously out. It'd be great to see these in RWD sedan/wagon form; I've got high hopes for their 'world-car' plans, hopefully we'll see the Aussie Falcon break out of Oz.
When tallying the true costs of ownership, a new car can often be close to used. While not exactly apples-to-apples, my wife's leased '08 Civic costs exactly the same to own and operate as my '01 325i.

P.S. Stop laughing!
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Number of posts : 323
Interests : Auto/Moto (Virtual and actual), Tunes
Humor : Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!
Favorite Car : 2002 tii
Favorite Track : Schwarzer Wald

http://www.race2play.com/team/prw

Back to top Go down

Post  amped™ Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:55 pm

DANDY!!!!...... when are you going to get a ps3 and come to the GT5 side of life? Razz

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I went and checked out the volvo yesterday and its an amazingly incredible condition. This guy obviously babied the heck out of it. Took it for a good long drive handles amazing, no shake, no real turbo lag that i could see (its an understated turbo, which is good for me)....checked the carfax and it all came back clean. He had all the recall work done at the local volvo dealer and has pretty much every piece of paperwork ever written for the car......and he came down $500 off the price. So, i took it. Of all the s40s i drove in my price range, this one felt like it was just coming off the lot for the first time. The bad is that i have to wait 8 weeks while his new audi get delivered. He is doing the sale through the audi dealer, which means it gets a point to point inspection before sale. I have an aftermarket warranty lined up already, as a just in case situation.....so, i should be good to go.

So, time will tell how good or bad these are.... I do have a few really good mechanics locally that will do work on it if need be, so that should keep most repair costs down (compared to dealer work).....so, hopefully its a good ride.

Thanks again crew!

PS dandy, I thought long and hard about the z3, but around here, a RWD car is great for about 5 months out of the year....plus realistically a 2 seater just wouldn't work for me. Razz

amped™
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 am

Congrats! Most important thing is that you like it. A well-cared for car is a nice thing indeed, and sweet terms of sale too! Best of luck with it, post some pics when she's all cleaned up.

Never been a console man, but I gotta admit GT5 looks sweet.

DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:06 pm

amped™ wrote:He had all the recall work done at the local volvo dealer and has pretty much every piece of paperwork ever written for the car......and he came down $500 off the price. So, i took it.
PICTs!!!
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  amped™ Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm

DANDY wrote:Congrats! Most important thing is that you like it. A well-cared for car is a nice thing indeed, and sweet terms of sale too! Best of luck with it, post some pics when she's all cleaned up.

Never been a console man, but I gotta admit GT5 looks sweet.

Thank you good sir. I will def. be posting pics when i get ahold of it. Its going to be a change coming from the caddy, but im looking forward getting back into the manual transmission.

GT5 is alot of fun. It sort of starts off slowly, as the cars are sort of lame.....fun, but lame. As you get higher up and start making more money is where the fun is. Indy cars, gt cars, etc etc with a good amount of customization. Whats really nice is that there is a huge online challenge component. So ever week or so they add new challenges, time trials, or beat the pack in a certain car kind of races. The online community is pretty tight as near as i can tell. There is a huge group of people on the PS3 boards that get together and have tourneys and races and such. I haven't gotten into it just yet, but have raced in some of the nascar races which are a good time.

I know don and snail and dan are on there, but we haven't jived in terms of getting together just yet.

What are you playing around wityh these days? anything exciting?

amped™
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm

amped™ wrote:What are you playing around wityh these days? anything exciting?
with djpimley we are killing ourself in Left 4 Dead 2. We have NNB as well on steam, but I didn't get yet a chance to play with him. I would to see if Leo would to return back in shoot'em up games...
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  amped™ Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 pm

DonaemouS wrote:
amped™ wrote:What are you playing around wityh these days? anything exciting?
with djpimley we are killing ourself in Left 4 Dead 2. We have NNB as well on steam, but I didn't get yet a chance to play with him. I would to see if Leo would to return back in shoot'em up games...

No ps3 fun? Sad

amped™
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  DonaemouS Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:18 pm

nuuuuu amped new car help Icon_console

I miss you... but we need a tool to meet online! with sD and thesnail as well! In the meantime, the city is full of hordes of zombies... I'm protecting you, and your fellows!!!

BET ON ME!
DonaemouS
DonaemouS

Back to top Go down

Post  DANDY Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Blowing gaskets out of BMWs mostly....lol. Last night I got oil leaking out from under the valve cover, filled the cabin with black smoke...had to let it cool down and ease it back home with the window down. Lots of fun in -27C/-17F, lemme tell ya...be glad you weren't stuck on an e46. Very pretty, great handling POS.

Otherwise still on rF at Virtual Online Racers and casually at Race2Play. rF2 is due soon.
Tweaking a hac..uhm.."Pro Mac"?

Yet another toy arriving in a month, will up pics then.
DANDY
DANDY
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down